Achieving radiant, youthful skin takes more than using topical skin care products. The healthiest skin is the result of a three-tiered approach to skin care. The tiers work synergystically to reduce inflammation at the cellular level, which is the single most powerful cause of the signs of aging.
This article will discuss the three tiers, which are:
- Tier One: Anti-inflammatory Diet
- Tier Two: Nutriceuticals
- Tier Three: Cosmeceuticals
Tier One: Anti-inflammatory Diet
Inflammation and free radical damage are a destructive combination for skin.
Inflammation that contributes to aging is invisible to the naked eye, and decades of research have shown that it causes disease and cell damage. Free radicals are created in very high levels throughout the body where there is trauma, infection, or inflammation.
Inflammation is worsened when free radicals attack and break down a cell’s ability to function. Inflammation brought on by toxins, infections, or sunburn perpetuates further damage from free radicals and can cause a chain reaction in which a burst of free radicals attack the cell plasma membrane, which results in the production of pro-inflammatory chemicals, the beginning of aging, and more free radicals.
When free radicals enter a damaged skin cell, they attack collagen. As collagen is digested and damaged, the skin becomes discolored and loses its firmness, elasticity, and youthful, radiant appearance. To prevent this cycle, avoid pro-inflammatory foods and build your diet around anti-inflammatory foods.
Foods to avoid:
- Sugar: Simple sugars like those found in sweets cause a spike in blood sugar. When blood sugar rapidly increases, inflammation occurs.
- High-fat meats: Chemicals such as nitrites, present in high-fat meats, are associated with inflammation and chronic disease.
- Fast food: In addition to high sugar content, fast food is cooked with a lot of oil, which decreases blood flow to organs.
- Dairy products: Fatty acids called arachidonic acid are present in dairy. While some arachidonic acid is essential for your health, an excess of the acid can worsen inflammation.
Since protein is essential to cellular repair, it is important to keep it in your diet.
Instead of high-fat meats and dairy, choose high quality proteins, such as:
- Fish and shellfish
- Nuts and seeds
Additionally, cold water fish such as wild Alaskan salmon, halibut, sardines, herring and anchovies, and nuts, seeds and olive oil contain essential fatty acids. These fatty acids reduce inflammation, heal dry skin, and prohibit the body from producing inflammatory compounds.
The glycemic index (GI) ranks carbohydrates according to how they effect blood glucose levels. Lower GI carbohydrates cause smaller fluctuations of blood glucose and insulin levels. Large quantities of insulin signals the body to store fat and increases inflammation. Low-GI foods reduce risk of disease, sustain weight loss, and reduce inflammation.
Choose low-glycemic carbohydrates, like:
- Colorful fresh fruits
- Whole grains
Water is also essential to the fight against inflammation because dehydration makes the body more susceptible to aging. Drink 8-10 glasses of pure spring water every day. In addition, drinking antioxidant-rich beverages such as green and black tea helps combat free radical damage and inflammation.
Watch N V Perricone discuss “the face lift in your fridge” with Oprah in the video below:
Tier Two: Nutriceuticals
Nutriceuticals go further than generic vitamins. These advanced nutritional supplements are targeted to work synergistically with the other two tiers to maintain skin’s youth from the inside out. They can include antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals. They repair cells and fight sub-clinical inflammation to improve skin health and impart beautiful skin.
While a complete spectrum of vitamins and minerals (Vitamins A, B-complex, C, D, E, Calcium, etc.) is essential to an anti-aging regimen, it should also include:
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Vitamin C Ester
- Coenzyme Q-10
- L-Carnitine Fumerate
- N-Acetyl Carnitine
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids
These nutriceuticals act as a “cellular rescue team” by repairing and preventing damage and thereby prolonging the process of aging.
For example, Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) helps combat signs of aging by maintaining a cell’s metabolic function. ALA also protects and supports other antioxidants, such as Vitamins C and E.
Tier Three: Cosmeceuticals
Cosmeceuticals are clinical skin treatments that, when used in conjunction with proper diet and supplements, can enhance skin’s natural health and beauty “from the inside out”. Research shows that many food-based nutrients work as anti-inflammatories and antioxidants when applied topically.
- DMAE boosts production of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is synthesized from choline and acetyl coenzyme A. Choline is critical for liver and muscle function, and acetyl coenzyme A interacts with other enzymes to build glucose and fatty acids. In regards to the skin, acetylcholine makes muscles respond, thus giving them tone. Therefore, DMAE topicals increase production of acetylcholine, which can improve your facial skin’s appearance.
- Phospholipids attract water from the air and hold water where hydration is needed. Damaging environmental factors such as sun, wind, and pollution can strip natural phospholipid content from the top layer of the skin. This loss results in rough skin and a pitted appearance. Moisturizing with products that contain phospholidics is a great way to replace this natural protective layer.
- Neuropeptides activate surface renewal of the dermis to deliver more toned, supple, and resilient skin. They are messengers in the brain that control cellular function; interactions between skin cells, skin immune components, and neuronal tissues occur through neuropeptides. Because of this, they can increase production of collagen and elastin, increase circulation, and repair scars and wrinkles.
The Neuropeptide Firming Moisturizer includes these three ingredients to help moisturize, lift, tone, and repair sagging skin and to help correct the appearance of deep lines and wrinkles. Cold Plasma is another product that helps combat signs of aging by improving firmness, elasticity and texture.