Wrinkle cream is great when it helps prevent and reduce the appearance of those unwanted wrinkles and fine lines. However, not all products contain helpful and preventative ingredients to achieve these results. In fact, some wrinkle creams may even contain ingredients harmful to your skin.
Eliminating wrinkles is a strong desire for many, but examining wrinkle creams closely before applying is an important step in achieving and maintaining young, smooth skin.
In this article, learn more about:
There are thousands of wrinkle creams on the market today; however, not all of them will give you the same great results. It is important to recognize some of the common ingredients in creams and their effectiveness.
Here are some common ingredients found in wrinkle creams:
- Retinol – a vitamin A compound.
- Hydroxy acids – these acids are exfoliants, which means they remove dead skin and stimulate the growth of smooth, new skin.
- Coenzyme Q10 – a nutrient that helps regulate energy production in cells.
- Copper peptides – stimulate production of collagen and possibly enhance the action of antioxidants.
- Kinetin – a plant growth factor that can improve wrinkles and uneven pigmentation.
- Tea extracts – contain compounds with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. (Green tea extracts are the ones most commonly found in wrinkle creams).
Research suggests some wrinkle creams contain ingredients that do indeed improve wrinkles. The above list contains only some of the most common ingredients found in wrinkle creams tending to show positive results. However, depending on your skin type, how long you use a certain cream, and the amount and type of the active ingredients in that particular wrinkle cream are also factors in its overall effectiveness.
The best wrinkle creams on the market today contain the most effective ingredients, but they are also safe. It is important to avoid wrinkle creams containing components that may be harmful for your skin.
3 Ingredients to Avoid:
- Mineral Oil (liquid paraffin, paraffin wax, petrolatum): clogs pores, hinders with your skin’s natural ability to eliminate toxins, and is irritating to the skin with extended use.
- Fragrances: Many fragrances are produced from ingredients that are toxic or carcinogenic.
- Alcohols: Not all alcohols have the same properties, but some can be drying and irritating for the skin.
When picking the right wrinkle cream, it is not only about avoiding the bad; it is also about selecting the one with good ingredients.
2 Ingredients to Look for:
- Antioxidants: Provide protection from skin damaging free radicals and improve the appearance of wrinkles.
- Moisturizers: Can help wrinkles look temporarily less prominent.
Perricone’s skin care products contain key ingredients to help reduce wrinkles. For example, Advanced Face Firming Activator includes: alpha lipoic acid, DMAE, and sodium hyaluronate. Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is an antioxidant that helps reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and discoloration. DMAE (Dimethylaminoethanol) is an antioxidant membrane stabilizer that provides “anti-aging” benefits to your skin and body. Lastly, sodium hyaluronate locks in moisture to help reduce wrinkles while also hydrating the skin.
Advanced Face Firming Activator as well as the multitude of other skin care products developed by Dr. Perricone to reduce wrinkles avoids the “bad”, while selecting only the best ingredients possible for your skin.