When skin loses elasticity, wrinkles form more easily. Elastin is an insoluble rubber-like protein that gives elasticity to tissues and organs.
What is the structure of elastin?
Elastin fibers are arranged in cross-linked coils, unlike collagen which is comprised of dense fibrous bundles. This gives elastin the ability to take a more linear formation when stretched, then recoil back to the random coil structure.
Collagen and elastin are similar, but elastin can be more easily stretched and is less abundant in the body. Both collagen and elastin production decreases with age, making skin sag.
Elastic fiber is composed of an elastin core with microfibrils on the periphery. It also is composed of desmosine and isodesmonsine, unique amino acids.
Why is the structure of elastin important?
Elastin allows the blood vessels, lungs, cartilage, and skin to reverse deformations. A decrease of or change in elastin could cause aneurysms, pulmonary emphysema, and other pathological conditions.
The skin has three layers: the epidermis, dermis, and subcutis.
- Epidermis – top layer of skin comprised of hard, flattened dead cells.
- Dermis – middle layer with living, larger cells.
- Subcutis – bottom layer where new cells grow and push to the skin’s surface.
The dermis is the layer of thick, sturdy connective tissue and contains the meshwork of collagen and elastin fibers. The meshwork that consists of tiny lymph and blood vessels allows the skin to breathe and be nourished.
How to restore elasticity
Elastin products are overrated, because the elastin molecule cannot penetrate the skin. Using topical products formulated with antioxidants, like Vitamin C Ester, is more effective.
For example, Dr. Perricone’s High Potency Amine Complex Face Lift can help restore skin’s elasticity. High Potency Amine Complex Face Lift is a powerful dermatological-grade face treatment formulated with higher levels of anti-aging ingredients than in other Perricone products.
This is similar to original Amine Complex Face Life but with:
- 16% more DMAE- for an elegant, chiseled, smooth appearance
- 700% more Vitamin C Ester – to minimize deep lines and wrinkles, resurface skin’s texture and effectively diminish discoloration for vibrant, glowing skin.
- Pycnogenol- to address loss of elasticity and brighten skin’s appearance.
With HP Amine Complex Face Lift, maintaining and improving facial skin’s structure is possible.