Many women worry about the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and face skin care, while forgetting the fragile neck skin just below. Degraded collagen and a loss of elasticity make all your skin, not just your face, more prone to wrinkles, sagging, and uneven coloration as you age. In fact, the skin on the neck is even thinner than on the face, making it even more vulnerable to fine lines and sun damage.
This article will discuss:
- Causes of Wrinkles around the Neck
- Prevention of Neck Wrinkles
Causes of Wrinkles around the Neck
As most women grow older, their body fat redistributes to different areas. Instead of losing fat in desirable areas like the stomach and thighs, most women tend to lose fat around the:
Lack of fat under these areas means there is a reduced level of support for the skin. This can result in the sagging skin around the neck and throat that is sometimes referred to as “turkey neck.”
Other factors that contribute to sagging skin in the neck region is the loss proteins found in the dermis layer of the skin called collagen and elastin. Collagen gives your skin firmness and strength, while elastin provides your skin with flexibility. As you age, less collagen is produced and the elastin becomes weakened and worn out. When combined with fat loss, it’s a recipe for neck wrinkles.
In addition to the actions of aging, sagging and wrinkling skin can be caused or worsened by your daily activities. Other causes of aging skin may include:
- Maintaining an unhealthy diet. A diet with insufficient nutrients, antioxidants, and healthy fats doesn’t give the body the tools it needs to repair itself, thus increasing the aging process.
- Smoking. It can cause a drop in the production of fresh collagen by up to 40%.
- Poor skin care routine. Skin that isn’t adequately cleansed and hydrated is more wrinkle-prone.
- Excess sun exposure. UV radiation from the sun causes free radical damage and accelerates collagen and elastin loss.
Of course, a combination of all the aforementioned increases signs of aging.
How to Prevent Neck Wrinkles
- Eat healthy. A well-balanced diet is a powerful anti-aging tool because it helps fight inflammation, which is an underlying cause of aging. Dr. Perricone’s Anti-Inflammatory Diet, is designed help slow down the aging process by preventing inflammation that leads to cellular break down.
- Drink plenty of water. A dehydrated body is more vulnerable to aging, and dehydrated skin looks less full and healthy.
- Care for your neck as you do your face. Apply sunscreen to your neck to help protect the skin from UV rays. Just as with your face, the exposure to sunlight, the less damage there is to the elastin and collagen.
- Use a neck treatment moisturizer. Products like the NV Perricone Neck Therapy are formulated to to improve the look of the neck area, even if it was ignored in the past.
Perricone MD Neck Therapy
The Perricone MD Neck Treatment, now available with a new Perricone deal, is specifically designed to help fight the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in the delicate neck region, helping to keep you age less.
This neck therapy contains:
- Palmitoyl Carnosine to firm, tone, and reduce neck creases
- Phospholipids to help hydrate and repair damage to the neck
- Tocotrienols to help reduce the loss of elasticity
For further explanation of tocotrienols, watch this video:
Clinical trials resulted in 97% of users showing improvement in skin texture. Users also reported their skin being softer and smoother. In addition, 77% of users showed improvement in skin elasticity.
When you understand how sensitive and thin the skin on your neck truly is, it allows you to care for the skin appropriately. Combining the steps to help prevent neck wrinkles with an effective treatment like Perricone MD Neck Therapy can work to combat the sighs of aging to avoid the dreaded turkey neck.