When you were younger, your mother encouraged you to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. You probably knew they were good for you, but did you ever considered why?
The answer is that fruits and vegetables are key components of an anti-inflammatory diet, a diet that can keep you looking young and feeling healthy.
When you hear the word inflammation you might think of redness or swelling. But one of the main contributors to the problems associated with aging, such as wrinkles and disease, actually occurs because of cellular level inflammation.
One great way to prevent inflammation is to begin an anti-inflammation diet.
An anti-inflammatory diet consists of healthy fats, low-glycemic carbohydrates, and a high-quality protein. These foods are part of a low glycemic diet. They help the body maintain a healthy blood sugar level, which prevents spikes in insulin levels that can increase signs of aging.
This is why Dr. Perricone has listed an anti-inflammatory diet as the number 1 tier in his 3-tiered anti-aging regimen.
Learn how to locate the essential parts of an anti-inflammatory diet:
- Healthy Fats – can be found in cold water fish such as salmon, as well as nuts, seeds, and olive oil.
- Low-glycemic carbohydrates – are located in colorful fruits and vegetables as well as whole grains and beans.
- High-quality proteins – such as those found in fish, shellfish, and poultry.
It is also best to take in at least 8 to 10 glasses of water each day.
Consider watching this video to learn more about an anti-inflammatory diet:
One delightful anti-inflammatory recipe is for a Chocolate Almond Smoothie.
- 6 oz plain yogurt
- cup milk (more or less to taste)
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp finely ground flax seed (optional)
- 2 scoops Whey Protein Isolate (optional but recommended)
- cup ice cubes (optional)
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend at top speed for approximately one minute or until smooth.
Following an anti-inflammatory diet is easy, especially considering the tasty options, like a chocolate almond smoothie.