The forehead is particularly susceptible to wrinkles because it is an area of the face that utilizes a great deal of repetitive motion. This is why horizontal lines can appear on someone as early as their teens.
In order to treat forehead wrinkles or to slow their initial onset, it is important to understand what causes them to appear, what can be done to prevent them, and what treatment options are available.
Want to learn more?
Forehead wrinkles occur because as the body ages its levels of collagen and elastin, which are proteins in the skin, decrease. These proteins allow the skin to easily bounce back after repetitive motion. The forehead in particular is an area of the face where there is a great deal of muscle activity; many facial expressions are conveyed with subtle eyebrow motions, and when the skin’s ability to return after moving diminishes, lines begin to appear.
Luckily, forehead wrinkles can be prevented with certain lifestyle choices.
In order to prevent forehead wrinkles, it is best to maintain collagen and elastin levels for as long as possible. To do this, one can take certain precautions against factors that break down these proteins, as well as precautions against other causes of wrinkles.
- Avoid the sun. Exposure to ultraviolet rays leads to the release of matrix metalloproteinases that break down collagen. Therefore, it is best to wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 or 30 every day.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking also causes the release of an enzyme that breaks down collagen and elastin.
- Get adequate sleep. Without enough sleep, the body produces excess cortisol, a hormone that breaks down skin cells.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. The middle layer of the skin, the dermis, loses moisture as skin ages.
- Eat a healthy diet. Eating healthy fats, low-glycemic carbohydrates, high-quality protein, and fruits help the body develop protection from free radicals that cause cell damage and inflammation.
By taking these precautions, wrinkles can be prevented and diminished. Topical treatments should also be considered to reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Forehead wrinkles can be treated by beginning an anti-aging regimen. Dr. Perricone understands the need to treat these horizontal lines and has developed many anti-aging topical options that work to reduce their appearance.
One such treatment option is the Perricone MD Face Finishing Moisturizer. The Face Finishing Moisturizer is formulated with the key sciences Alpha-Lipoic Acid, DMAE, and Vitamin C Ester.
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid is a powerful antioxidant that protects skin cells from being damaged.
- DMAE works to lift, tighten, and tone the skin by increasing muscle activity.
- Vitamin C Ester plays an important role in the creation of collagen and elastin and is also an antioxidant that boosts the immune system.
Fighting forehead wrinkles is possible with topical skin care products, such as Face Finishing Moisturizer, in conjunction with proper nutrition.