Sagging facial skin and loss of feature definition are normal parts of aging. There are several reasons why skin on the face loses its youthful tightness, or facial contours, over the years. One reason is that as skin ages, it loses collagen and elastin, which are both proteins that keep the skin flexible and tight. This results in skin losing its bounce back ability.
Major causes of lessened collagen and elastin levels include:
- Ultraviolet radiation: UV radiation triggers the release of an enzyme called matrix metalloproteinases, which breaks down collagen as it is responsible for dermal photoaging in human skin
- Free radical damage: Caused by smoke, chemical exposure, and more
Another reason the skin loses the defining facial contours it once had as it ages, is that it loses moisture in its top layers. When the skin becomes dehydrated, it can create a sagging appearance. In order to keep the skin moisturized and looking young for as long as possible, it is best to wear sunscreen and drink up to 8 glasses of water each day.
Because scientists now better understand what causes the skin to lose its contours, they have been able to create ways of protecting the skin and treating skin that has already begun to lose its elasticity.
Ingredients to look for include:
- DMAE — Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) is involved with muscle activity; it helps firm the skin by working to stimulate increased tone in the muscles behind the face.
- Neuropeptides — Small, protein-like molecules that boost collagen and elastin levels.
- Phospholipids — Add moisture to the skin, and increases protection to the skin from free radicals.
- Polyphenols — Powerful antioxidants that enhance the body’s immune system and protect it from free radical damage internally.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid — The ultimate antioxidant, it is located in nearly every cell of the body and is very effective against free radical damage.
One product that is very effective in adding definition to the face is Dr. Pericone‘s Neuropeptide Facial Contour, which includes the key sciences DMAE, Neuropeptides, and Phospholipids. Cold Plasma cream incorporates DMAE and Neuropeptides as well as L-tyrosine to brighten skin and give off a youthful glow.