The natural aging process, or intrinsic aging, is something dreaded by almost everyone. Normally this begins to occur in your twenties; however, visible signs may not become evident for another decade or two.
Learn more about types of aging and how to slow them down.
Intrinsic aging, or the natural aging process, begins from the day you are born and starts to become visible in your twenties and continues to get more visible as you age. Over time, skin loses elasticity which eventually leads to dryness, irritation and, at mature skin stages, cracks due to severe thinning. Learning how to get anti aging skin is crucial to look young and maintain healthy skin long after the aging process has begun.
A major cause behind intrinsic aging is your genes. Since everyone’s genes are unique, everyone must deal with their skin and body differently. Some may experience premature grays while others have dry skin. Ultimately, genes control the speed of your individual aging process.
Signs of intrinsic aging are:
- Fine wrinkles and thinning skin
- Increased skin transparency and dry, itchy skin
- Loss of fat: hollowed cheeks and eye sockets
- Loss of firmness on the hands and neck
- Skin sagging away from bones
- Difficulty with sweating and cooling the skin effectively
- Graying to white hair, possible hair loss or new growth of unwanted hair
Extrinsic aging, unlike intrinsic, is the aging caused by external factors and has nothing to do with the natural aging process. This varies from person to person depending on a number of factors.
Positive outside factors that play a role in the aging process:
- Physical activity and low stress lifestyle
- Having a genuine positive outlook on life
- Sleep schedule and postures
Negative outside factors that play a role in the aging process:
- Alcohol consumption and smoking
- Repetitive facial expressions
- Urban pollution and sun exposure
While you cannot fight genetics, you can help prevent extrinsic factors that lead to aging and help slow your intrinsic aging process slow with aging skin care products.
And even though it may seem that the signs of photoaging appear overnight, the aging process is always occurring beneath the surface of the skin. It just isn’t visible until years of changing below the surface has occurred.
Some products to fix problem skin areas include:
- Perricone’s Advanced Eye Area Therapy for the face’s fastest aging area
- A Perricone neck cream to prevent loose sagging skin
- Cold Plasma Body to sculpt and tone skin all over
You cannot completely stop aging altogether, but with wonderful products you can protect your skin and dramatically slow the process of premature aging.
Other healthy lifestyle choices to take to slow the aging process include:
- Not smoking
- Drinking alcohol in moderation
- Exercising to enhance antioxidant defense system and protect against free radical damage
- Getting adequate rest
- Eating a diet high in fruits and vegetables
- Coping with stress
- Having a positive outlook
Intrinsic and extrinsic aging are processes that must be dealt with differently but once you grasp an understanding of each, you can begin to prevent premature aging as well as deal with visible aging that may already be present.