The effects of aging, the sun, and significant weight loss can can cause your skin to change and lose its ability to snap back to its original appearance. Over time, this loss of elasticity results in sagging skin. Sagging skin can occur on different parts of the body including the stomach, legs, and arms. However, people are usually most concerned with sagging skin on the face.
Skin care science has led to topical products that can dramatically improve the appearance of sagging skin without major expense or side effects.
Want to learn more about sagging skin?
While there is nothing that can permanently stop the skin from losing its elasticity, you can help slow down the process by taking certain precautions.
3 important factors to consider to help prevent sagging skin include:
- Stay hydrated. Try to drink the recommended 8 glasses of water a day. Water works from the inside out as a natural cleanser. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that will keep the skin soft and radiant.
- Avoid excessive exposure to the sun. The sun accelerates skin aging and may cause skin cancer. Remember to always wear sunscreen, even on cloudy days, to help protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Seek out good fats. There are plenty of healthy fats that are needed for the body. Omega 3 fatty acids and monounsaturated fat have powerful anti-inflammatory effects, such as improving skin’s moistness and texture.
Another way to protect your skin is by following an anti-inflammatory diet like the one advocated by Dr. Perricone. It provides a nutritional plan that improves total health and works from the inside out to ensure healthy, beautiful skin.
Considered the cornerstone of the Perricone anti-aging program, the diet focuses on high quality proteins like fish and poultry, as well as healthy fats, whole grains, and antioxidants. Proteins are made up of chains of amino acids that are used by your body to grow muscles, hair, nails, skin, and internal organs.
An anti-inflammatory diet, in combination with topicals and supplements, works to reduce the systemic inflammation that ages the body and increases skin sagging.
Watch this video to learn more about Dr. Perricone’s anti-inflammatory diet of superfoods:
Just as good lifestyle choices help prevent sagging skin and bad choices can hasten it, there are safe and risky ways to correct the appearance of the sagging skin you already have.
The Risky way
The risky way to deal with sagging skin is to consider plastic surgery. Plastic surgery is often an unnecessarily dangerous and costly way to solve cosmetic issues like sagging skin.
Plastic surgery procedures for sagging skin usually involve the surgeon pulling the skin, muscles, and tissues of the face back tightly into place. Excess skin is removed, leaving the remaining skin looking firmer. Not only are surgical proceduresa extremely expensive, but they frequently result in an unnatural appearance and can involve serious risk factors.
Some risk factors include:
- Scarring. This is a common and sometimes severe result. Some scars do not heal properly and become permanent.
- Crust on the incision. Dry crust or scabs can form and cause infections if not removed and properly cared for.
- Numbness. Nerves surrounding the area can be damaged and cause temporary to permanent numbness to the face.
These risk factors can be both dangerous and potentially emotionally damaging for patients.
The Safe way
There are safer and more affordable alternatives to plastic surgery for treating sagging skin. Products formulated with sophisticated anti-inflammatory sciences can help tighten the skin, improving its appearance and helping to slow further sagging.
Dr. Perricone’s Advanced Face Firming Activator is formulated with DMAE, an organic compound which provides contouring benefits to skin losing elasticity. It lifts, tightens, and tones skin, while diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
DMAE is also effective when taken internally as with the DMAE Dietary Supplements. Taken twice a day with meals, this capsule works to rescue the skin when it begins to lose elasticity. The brain also benefits from DMAE, as it supports cognitive functions like memory and helps reduces cell deterioration. DMAE can even help combat depression.
Remember, there are safe methods to prevent and reduce the appearance of sagging skin. Plastic surgery is never the only option for cosmetic enhancements when nutrition and topical treatments can provide such impressive results.