Keeping pores clean is an important part of every skin care routine. Pores become dirty from a buildup of oily sebum, cellular debris, and bacteria which clogs the pores. When all of this residue comes in contact with oxygen, the pores become darker and are called blackheads. The blackheads act as a plug in the pores. The body keeps trying to rid itself of oil being produced, but oil cannot escape the skin because of the blackhead. Instead, all of the oil builds up behind the blackhead and causes acne.
Besides causing breakouts, when pores become dirty, they appear larger. You cannot permanently change the size of your pores, but you can affect whether they appear larger or smaller.
To avoid acne and enlarged pores from appearing, consider some ways to keep your pores clean:
- Use makeup sparingly. A heavy liquid foundation can settle into pores, clogging them and making them appear larger. Use as little foundation as possible and blend carefully. If using a powder foundation, brush off the excess powder on the face.
- Wash face. Try to wash the face carefully twice a day with a gentle cleanser and warm water. Avoid harsh cleansers and hot water, which can dry out skin. Exfoliate skin once a week for deep pore cleansing.
- Avoid touching the face with your hands. The hands contain bacteria, dirt, and oil which can easily be transferred to the face and clog pores. Wash hands frequently to avoid bacteria transfer.
- Wash pillowcase. Pillowcases should be washed about 2 times per week because dirt and oil builds up on the pillowcase and can easily travel to the face during sleep.
Dr. Perricone’s Skin Clear Cleanser is a deep cleaning acne cleanser that removes surface contamination while reducing excess sebum oil. This cleanser is safe enough for people of all skin types to use twice a day for cleaner, younger skin.
Skin Clear Cleanser contains:
Antioxidant Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Protects the cell
- Diminishes fine lines, wrinkles, and discoloration
- Refines skin texture
- Reduces pore size, imperfections, puffiness, and uneven skin tone
- Cleans pores
- Clears acne breakouts
Eucalyptus Leaf Oil (anti-bacterial)
- Clears breakouts and blemishes
- Cools and calms inflamed skin