One of the best ways to protect the body from the signs of aging, cancer, and even the common cold, may also be the easiest. All it requires is a trip to the fresh produce aisle of a nearby supermarket.
Fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants, which are the body’s front-line defense against harmful molecules known as free radicals. Free radicals cause inflammation at the cellular level and can lead to the development of various health problems such as cancer, heart disease, and inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.
Would you like to know more about antioxidants and how they can protect the body from free radicals?
- What are antioxidants?
- Where can they be found?
- What are some of the best antioxidants?
- What Perricone products contain antioxidants?
Antioxidants are nutrients that protect the cells of the body by nullifying free radicals.
Antioxidants work in a variety of ways:
- May limit the energy of the free radical.
- Stop the free radical from being created in the first place.
- Interrupt an oxidizing chain reaction to minimize the damage caused by free radicals.
By preventing the free radicals from reaching the cell membrane, antioxidants can stop or even reverse cell membrane damage and sub-clinical inflammation, including the microscopic scarring that form wrinkles. This will also boost the body’s immune system making it stronger in its ability to fight disease.
The three main antioxidant vitamins are:
- Beta Carotene
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
Antioxidants can be found in a variety of fruits and vegetables as well as dietary supplements.
Beta Carotene can be found in:
- Green peppers
Vitamin C can be found in:
- Red, green, or yellow peppers
Vitamin E can be found in:
- Turnip greens
- Mangoes, nuts
- Red peppers
- Sunflower seeds
The best antioxidants seek out the free radicals before they ever reach the cell membrane. One of the most powerful antioxidants is Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA). ALA is able to accomplish a great deal because it is universally soluble, which means it is both fat and water soluble, whereas Vitamins C is only water soluble and E is only fat soluble.
Some of the benefits of ALA include:
- Resurfaces skin and improves resilience, tone, and texture.
- Decreases the appearance of lines, wrinkles, enlarged pores, and scarring.
- Lessens the appearance of uneven skin tone and discolorations.
- Provides superior antioxidant protection.
- Increases the positive effects of other antioxidants in the body such as Vitamin C and E.
Dr. Perricone understands the importance of antioxidants and has included them in his products.
To increase your body’s amount of ALA, for example, consider Perricone MD Nutriceuticals: Alpha Lipoic Acid Dietary Supplement.
ALA is also available as an ingredient in many of Perricone’s topical creams, such as bestseller Advanced Face Firming Activator.